The division is mandated to provide overarching strategic professional leadership and technical
policy advice, and ensuring the effective regulation, monitoring and ongoing development of
Nursing and Midwifery within the context of the total health system in line with the MOH
Act.2007, the Nurses and Midwives Act.2007, Health Care Professions, Registration and
Standards Act.2007, and the Public Service Act 1977.
It monitors the performance and practice of nursing and midwifery in accordance with the
National Standards for Nursing & Midwifery Practice 2007, the WPSEAR Nursing & Midwifery
Competencies, International Council of Nurses (ICN), International Confederation of Midwives
(ICM) and WHO professional standards.
- Provide professional and/or technical advice on and for Nursing & Midwifery Services to theMinistry of Health and the health sector.
- Assures continuing quality nursing and midwifery practice including infection control.
- Ongoing monitoring in line with approved standards for practice
- Clinical and Practice audits
- Assures ongoing development of nursing and midwifery contribution in line with international
and WHO Standards and in the context of the total health systems of Samoa.
- Management of Sponsorship for under graduate and post graduate nursing & midwifery students at the
National University of Samoa.
- Regulation of nursing and midwifery services and assuring continuing competence through;
- Assessment of eligibility for Annual Practicing Certificates on behalf of the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
- Professional Development
- Fostering strategic alliance to enhance regulatory, monitoring and development outcomes in
- Health Sector Nursing and Midwifery Leadership
- Maintaining International & Regional Nursing & Midwifery alliances & commitment through.
- South Pacific Chief Nursing & Midwifery Alliance (SPCNMA)
- Western Pacific South East Asia Regulation Authorities (WPSEAR)
- International Council of Nurses
- International Confederation of Midwives
- WHO Global Advisory Group for Nursing and Midwifery
- Assistant CEO; Prof. Pelenatete Ieremia-Stowers
- Principal Nurse; Tapai Taupau-Tanielu
- Clinical Nurse Consultant (Quality Assurance & Infection Control); Leveti Auvaa
- Clinical Nurse Consultant (Regulation) Sara Filemu
- New Graduates Mentor ( TTM Hospital Nursing) Aofia Fualau
- New Graduates Mentor (ICHNS Upolu Rural & Apia Urban) Saeu Tualima
- New Graduates Mentor (ICHS Savaii) Mesepi Mulitalo
- CHNIS Information Officer - Fiapa’ipa’i Tanea
- Secretary (vacant)
- Nursing Graduates Orientees; 10