Health Travel Advice for Samoa
Tap water is treated mainly around the town area however it is still strongly advised to consume bottled water from commercial companies.
The food safety and hygiene standard is generally well observed by most food vendors and restaurants around the main town area; it is advised to purchase or dine at identified restaurants and vendors.
VACCINE PREVENTABLE DISEASES
Typhoid is endemic in Samoa and you are strongly advised to get vaccinated before travel.
Measles, Rubella and Pertussis are non-endemic but due to the possibility of importation with current regional outbreaks, it is strongly advised to get vaccinated before travel.
- Due to regional outbreaks of Dengue fever, Chikungunya, Zika viruses and Measles with the potential to cause an outbreak, please ensure you are disease free before travelling. Should you become ill, notify the nearest Medical Facility or Ministry of Health immediately.
- Due also to global outbreaks of Polio, Ebola Haemorrhagic Fever and MERS-CoV ensure you notify us, if you have travelled to Outbreak regions / Countries within the last 30 days. Should you become ill, notify the nearest Medical Facility or Ministry of Health immediately.
- While Samoa is Malaria free, ensure you protect yourself from vector borne diseases and use insect repellant and mosquito nets at night.
- Those with chronic medical conditions must ensure adequate supplies of medications available and ensure complete medical checks before travel.
- In line with Samoa Narcotics Act 2009 those on special medications must provide adequate documentation to Dr Robert Thomsen on email firstname.lastname@example.org for special permit.
- Even though Samoa is Rabies free, you are still advised to beware of stray dogs.
- Ensure proper hydration and adequate sun protection.
Medical clinics are located at the main conference venue or main TTM Hospital at Motootua.
For more information contact:
Ministry of Health – (685) 68100; extensions 104 / 156 / 152
Tupua Tamasese Meaole (TTM) Hospital – (685) 66600